Happy Valentines Day everyone!!!
I wanted to bake something special for Valentines day and healthy at the same time. So, Off I went with my search wand to see what I can find. I liked donuts, heart shaped (duh…), sweet, sprinkles and yummy. Only one problem, usually they are deep fried and loaded with sugar. I wanted to ENJOY them – not feel guilty afterwards.
Enter the AIR FRYER which I bought recently. I was like ok, let me try to take the normal recipe but use the Air fryer instead of deep frying them. The change I did was to refrigerate the dough for couple of hours before rolling and cutting the shapes. The dough was super sticky, so dusting your hands very well before rolling with your hands is good idea. Nope…don’t even think of rolling pin. It will become even more messier and you will add more flour to the dough than needed by end of it.
Now, came the part of air frying them. First batch I did only 4 pieces and baked for exactly 5 minutes after turning them over half way thru. I took them out, cut it in half and it was cooked all the way. YAHOO……Ok, well my yahoo moment.
The only thing left was glossing it away with simple sugar glaze. There, I made Donuts for the first time in my life and I am pretty happy about eating them too…Win – Win.
Air Fryer Heart Donuts
Guilt free Donuts air fried and glazed to look cute & yummy.
- All Purpose flour – 1 ¼ cup
- Baking Powder – 2 tsp
- Granulated Sugar – ¼ cup
- Part skim Ricotta cheese – 8 oz (you can use whole or skim)
- Lemon zest – ½ tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1tsp
- Medium Eggs – 3
- In a medium bowl, sift all purpose flour and baking powder. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine well. Don’t overmix it. Just until combines if good enough. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- When ready, dust the surface of the counter you are about to roll with all purpose flour. The dough is super sticky. So its best you dust your hands well with the flour and roll the dough with hands.
- Take heart cookie cutter and cut as many hearts as you can. If you have dusted the surface well, the heart shapes lift easily. Transfer onto a plate.
- Spray the Air fryer basket with oil and place 5 pieces and spray one more time on the top. Place it back into the fryer.
- Set the air fryer at 350 degrees and timer at 5 mins. There is no need to preheat.
- After about 2 or 3 mins, pull the basket out, turn the pieces and place it back. The air fryer will go off once the set time is up.
- The donuts are done. Place them onto a plate with paper towel to absorb any excess oil from basket or donuts.
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Powdered sugar – 2 ½ cups
- Red color – I used 5 drops to get the pink I liked. You can directly use pink color too
- Place them all in a medium size bowl and whisk until there are absolutely no lumps.
- Drop the donuts 1-2 at a time, Make sure they are evenly coated on all sizes and place them on wire rack. It’s a good idea to have waxed paper or cookie sheet under the wire rack.
- Sprinkle the donuts with whatever sprinkles you like and let it dry. It can be chocolate shavings, simple red ones or white or even pink ones. Enjoy the donuts.
Please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org