Are you nutty?
Well, I am….. as in nuts for nuts. Any nuts – Almonds, Cashews, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, Pistachios. Although I prefer almonds over almost all of them anytime of the day……..what I am really trying to say is I like nuts. And I like fruits. So, its only natural to club them and make Fruit & nut cake (the second best thing after Cadburys Fruit & Nut chocolate.
Combine few candied fruit pieces golden raisins with flour and bake it. Ooops I almost forgot to say it, add cashews to the mix to get that creamy soft and yummy goodness in there. This recipe makes one big moist loaf of fruit n nut cake and I usually like to cut it into big chunky pieces. When feeling nutty and fruity ofcourse, warm it up in the microwave for 15-20 secs and enjoy with a warm cup of tea. My kind of ‘MY TIME’. Yum.
Fruit & Nut Cake
Easy Wholewheat flour cake with candied fruit, golden raisins and creamy cashews.
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- All Purpose flour – ½ cup + 1 tbsp.
- Granulated sugar – 1 cup
- Greek Yogurt – 1 cup
- Any flavorless oil – ½ cup
- Baking Powder – 1 ¼ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Candied fruit pieces – ½ cup
- Golden raisins – 2 tbsp.
- Broken cashews – 1 ½ tbsp.
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bread loaf pan with oil and keep it ready.
- Add broken cashews, fruit pieces and raisins to a small bowl along with 1 tbsp of flour. Mix it all thoroughly and set aside. This step will ensure the pieces will not sink to the bottom of the cake batter.
- In a big bowl, mix yogurt and sugar to creamy texture. Add oil & vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl, sieve flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix it well.
- Now add the fruit n nuts into the batter and fold it gently. Make sure, you don’t overmix the batter.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake it for 55 mins to 1 hour at 350 degrees. Keep an eye on the batter from 55 mins mark.
- The cake is done when toothpick inserted in the middle, comes out clean.