Star Ingredients: Orange, Chocolate and Ginger
I never knew there is a beautiful combination of Orange & Chocolate until I tried it. Its wonderful to see how addition of simple things can elevate the look and taste of the cookie.
The sweet and tangy taste of Orange in the cookie and bits of the zest will definitely add the kick which comes here and there.
The secret ingredient in these cookies is the power of “Ginger“. Its like the quite calming punch in the middle of double sweetness of orange and Chocolate. You can either go with dry ginger powder readily available or fresh ginger to add the kick.
The bitter dark chocolate along with perfect tang of orange zest and ginger is all you need. Simple combinations are the best!!
These cookies are very simple to make and all ingredients are readily available in your pantry and fridge. Lets begin.
Chocolate-Orange Cookie Bars
Ginger & Orange zest short bread cookies.
- 2 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup or 2 sticks Butter
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- 2 tsp Orange juice
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 4 oz Bittersweet chocolate
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- In a bowl, add the softened butter, sugar and 1 tbsp of orange zest and mix it well.
- Then beat in egg yolk, orange juice. Add Flour, salt, ginger and mix it well.
- Shape it into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190 degrees C. Line silpat sheets or parchment paper on 2 cookie sheets and keep it ready.
- Unwrap the dough and divide it into 2 balls. Take each ball and roll it into 1/4 inch thin rectangle in between 2 waxed/parchment papers.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the rectangles by 8×2 cm strips. Carefully place them onto the cookie sheet. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Remove from oven, let cool for sheets for 5 minutes before moving onto cooling rack.
- Lets melt the Chocolate for dipping. Take some bittersweet chocolate chips or candy melts and microwave them in 30 secs increments. Mine took 1 1/2 min to melt completely.
- Take each cookie bar and dip it in the chocolate diagonally to coat only half of it. Place them on wax paper to dry completely.
- Garnish with either zested or springs of orange peel. Enjoy!!!
- The cookies can be cut into any shape.
- For melting chocolate you can use double boiler method – Place chocolate in a safe bowl over boiling water and mix it thoroughly to melt.
- Garnishing with orange peel is totally optional.
Please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org