Star Ingredients: Tofu, Kura Karam(Curry Powder) Spice, Maple Syrup Coconut Oil,
TOFU – A soy milk cheese that comes in several varieties of softness. A staple of Asian cuisines, Tofu is a nutritious and healthy food which can be used in stir fries, smoothies, casseroles, desserts, puddings, sauces and dips.
There are 5 types of tofu – Silken, extra soft, medium, firm and extra firm. For the most part of using it in everyday cooking of sides and entrées, the firm or extra firm tofu is picked which can be found in refrigerator section of your grocery store.
Kurakaram is the spice blend you can easily get at any Indian store. Its a mixture of coconut powder, chana dal, sesame seeds, dals, cumin and red chilly seeds. It gives a special taste to the vegetable or in this case Tofu when sprinkled on the top.
Once the Tofu is marinated with spices, You can either bake them or shallow fry them in the pan. If kurakaram spice is not available, you can swap it with simple red chilly sauce and cumin powder.
Try these tots which are crunchy on the outside and soft and yummy on the inside. I promise, you will not be disappointed.
Spice marinated Tofu - baked to crispy tots
- 1 Package (14 oz) Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tsp KuraKaram Powder
- 1 tbsp Melted Coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup or sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2-3 tbsp Corn flour
- Take the Tofu from the package, clean it under the water and wrap it with clean kitchen towel. Now put some really heavy weight like a big book on the top so that the kitchen towel absorbs all the moisture from the Tofu. Leave it for 20 mins.
- In a medium bowl, add coconut oil, salt, maple syrup and Kurakaram powder. Mix well to make the sauce.
- Cut the Tofu into 1 inch pieces. Add these pieces to the sauce and mix to coat them well. Leave them for 5-10 minutes to marinade well.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of corn flour to the bowl and toss around well to coat evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil coated with oil. The tofu pieces stick to the sheet so the oil spray/coat is very much necessary.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins. Make sure to flip them after 10 mins to bake evenly.
- Take them out of the oven and leave them on the tray for 5 mins. They are ready to enjoyed as-is or as an accompaniment in an entre.
- To shallow fry the tofu pieces, add 3-4 tbsps. of oil in the fry pan and fry them until they are crispy.
- The spices can be exchanged to garlic and chili sauce or curry powder.
- Tofu can be exchanged with Paneer.
Please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: firstname.lastname@example.org