Did you know that Brownies have their own holiday? Yep, December 8 is the ‘National Bownie Day’. Let that sink in for a sec.
Yep, that’s how much we all love our brownies. Its yummy, ooey, gooey, chocolatey and what not? I am just talking about regular simple brownie. There are bazillion ways to make brownie from simple to super ooey gooey and from basic to non-stop eating worthy. No wonder it has its own holiday!! I am happy to celebrate.
I made my part of brownies in many ways till now. Boxed, regular flour, oat flour heck even with black beans. While I always like to beat the drum with simple and healthy ingredients, oat flour and black bean brownies didn’t make it to the final line.
Whole wheat brownies made completely with good wheat flour stood out on the top for me. Close to the original ones and always melt in the mouth with some added chocolate chips in the middle, when warmed up adds that ooey gooey melted chocolate in every bite…..I should just go get one right now from the freezer. Yep, I have a person of interest in the home who always expects a big Ziploc bag of brownies in the freezer. I am not kidding. He loves to eat it right from the freezer.
So, let me show you how we can make it wee bit or maybe half way healthier.
Whole wheat Brownie
Chocolate Brownie made with whole wheat
- Whole wheat flour – 1.5 cups
- Light brown sugar – 2 cups
- Unsalted butter softened – 2 sticks or 1 cup
- Good quality cocoa powder – ¾ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Instant Coffee powder – 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1tbsp
- Eggs – 4
- Semisweet chocolate chips – 1 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line a 9×13 baking pan or baking sheet with parchment paper and keep it ready.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and sugar, then stir to combine. The melted sugar mixes will give us shiny crust for our brownies.
- Carefully transfer this mixture to a bowl. Let it cool down completely. Since the mixture is hot, the eggs will curdle when added to hot mix thus ruining the batter.
- Add cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, coffee powder and vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Add flour and chocolate chips and combine.
- Pour the mix into prepared pan and smooth it out so that its evenly distributed.
- Bake the brownies for 25-30 mins. Insert the toothpick at the center and check if it comes our clean or with crumbs. If the raw batter comes out, put it back in the oven for 5 more mins.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Make sure to cut the squares after the brownie is completely cooked down. This will result in even pieces and fewer crumbs.
- I recommend parchment paper or silpat mat. Makes the cleaning of the pans lot of more easier. But if you don’t want to go that route, definitely spray the pan with oil well.
- Storage: * On the counter in airtight container – 1 week * Freezer – upto 3 months.
Have you made this recipe? please share your thoughts in the comments.