I feel the Granola or Granola bar is good alternative to cookie or cake as its loaded with mostly healthy stuff. Well, the basic one atleast. You throw in oats, nuts, seeds, add in honey or maple syrup and the basic granola is done. I like Granola more like loose and easy in the form of breakfast cereal. Bars doesn’t do well in my hands for some reason.
As I have been eating my fair share of granola all the time, I have been craving more warm and spicy food these days. So, I was thinking – Why not make Granola in the savory style with a mix in of all the nuts and seeds.
These bars are nothing fancy, they call for basic stuff like oats, sesame seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, maple syrup and spices like turmeric and chili powder along with salt and water.
Make these bars and you will definitely enjoy them more than you know. Pair them with hot cup of tea or coffee and you are all set. Throw in a movie and I will not judge you even if it’s a weekday.
Two important things to note – Make sure they are Old fashioned oats and dont skip the chia seeds. We use very little maple syrup in this recipe which does not provide great binding factor. Chia seeds will provide the glue to keep the bars together.
Savory Spicy Turmeric Granola bars
If you like savory breakfast or snacks, then these savory granola bars are for you
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 3/4 cup Pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Chili powder (Make it 1/2 tsp if you like it mild)
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spread parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Mix oats, seeds, turmeric, salt and chilli powder in a bowl.
- In a second bowl, add water, coconut oil and maple syrup. Give it a stir.
- Add oat mixture to water and combine it well. The mixture will be crumbly. Leave it for 15 mins.
- Transfer the mixture onto the baking sheet with parchment paper. Use another parchment paper on top of the mixture to spread and press the mixture gently on the baking sheet. Make sure the mixture is spread thin. Use roller for easy job.
- Bake it for 15 mins first. Take it out, cut it into bars(they will not be even but dont worry), flip them over and return to baking for 15 mins.
- Bake till they are golden on the sides of the spread. The bars are ready. Enjoy !!!
Are you a Granola or granola bar person? Let me know in the comments.
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: email@example.com