Few days ago, I was reading something online and I came across this article/topic called “Flavor Math”. This is the first time I heard this word and it was really intriguing. Fast forward to more time spent on internet(as usual), I learnt there are flavor engineers, flavor techniques, formulas, concoctions and whole lot of science behind just the flavor. Pretty interesting stuff and lot to learn if you are in food industry.
Its also written that there are some fail proof combos which are like legends.
- Banana Hazelnut
- Strawberry Vanilla
- Apple Cinnamon
- Pomegranate and pineapple
- Orange and chocolate
- Lemon and berries
It’s true and all these combos really work. The one combo which really made into my cakes recently is “Lemon and Blueberry”.
Man, this is like a bomb. I like lemon in many ways but the cake combo was such a delight which I didnt expect at all. Combine it with Blueberries – its like heaven in each bite.
I made this combo for two very dear friends who are my most trusted for anything and everything. One is for anniversary and the other is the Birthday cake. And the feedback from both the parties didn’t disappoint.
It also happened to be the time when I was trying to learn buttercream flowers and piping techniques. And what better way to put them to use than decorating your friends cake.
So, without further ado, here’s the recipe. Enjoy!!
Lemon Blueberry Cake
Fresh Blueberry and Lemon cake with buttercream frosting - A Cake to remember
- 1.5 cup unsalted butter(room temp)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (Or add 1/2 tsp lemon to 1 cup of milk and let stand for 5 mins)
- 1.5 tbsp lemon zest
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (for dusting blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease 3 cake pans with butter and keep it ready.
- Add 1 tbsp flour to blueberries and dust them well.
- Cream the butter and both the sugars until creamy. In a separate bowl, add flour, baking powder and salt – mix it well. Add these dry ingredients to wet sugar-butter mixture slowly.
- Now add lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and mix it well. Add the dusted blueberries and fold them. Do not overmix. The batter will be thick.
- Transfer the batter to prepared pans and bake them for 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Make the buttercream with 1:4 butter and powdered sugar ratio. Add 1-4 tbsp of the milk or water to get desired consistency. Use this to decorate the cake.
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: email@example.com