In my last post, I was talking about the flavor combos and on the same note, I made another birthday cake recently. The combo is not new to me as I did the chocolate orange cookies before which are basically melt in the mouth and out of this world cookies.
This Chocolate-Orange cake is another wonderful submission to that beautiful, flavorful and romantic combo. It really is romantic as the cake hits you with subtle notes of orange zest with bitter sweetness of the chocolate. The addition of coffee enhances the flavor of cocoa powder in a more chocolatey flavor making it irresistible chocolatey bite.
The frosting is the one I was willing to eat more than the cake on a personal note. The buttercream I used for this cake, I added a bit of orange and orange zest to get the zesty bits in the very first bite of the cake and every bite after. If you like orange as much as I do, this will be your sweet spot. But if you don’t like the zest, you can definitely omit it.
This cake for made for my dear hubs birthday. He loves music more than anything to relax him and lift his mood anytime. So I made this wonderful cake with music notes all over and on top. The choco melts worked like a charm for this.
This chocolate-Orange cake will definitely excite your taste buds and sure to be hit with everyone.
Chocolate Orange Cake
Subtle notes of orange with chocolatey bitterness for that ultimate romantic and exotic cake
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup hot coffee (Mix 1 tbsp of instant coffee with 1/2 cup boiling water)
- 1 large egg
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup or 2 sticks of room temp Butter
- 4 cups of powdered sugar
- Juice from 1 orange
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line 9 inch cake pan with parchment, spray with oil or butter and keep it ready.
- In a bowl, add all dry ingredients – all purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and basking soda. Give it a mix.
- In a bowl of standard mixer, add milk, orange juice, oil, egg and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until combined. Add the coffee and mix it well. But do not overmix.
- Finally fold in the orange zest. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 mins or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Prepare the frosting by beating butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar, orange juice and zest and mix it well.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, only then start frosting the cake.
- Optional – Use the melted chocolate to make the signs or letters on parchment paper for your cake and freeze it for 20 mins. Then, carefully lift them from the parchment paper and place on the frosted cake.
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: email@example.com