Tell me, how many times have you picked a gigantic blueberry muffin along with a cup of coffee on your way to work or after jog? I did it a few times too. I just enjoy the crumbly-sweet top and soft but moist muffin combined with good coffee.
Sweet, slightly tart blueberries are beautiful to look at and to enjoy them anyway you like. I wanted to recreate the Deli style but a little bit healthier version by substituting Whole wheat flour instead of all purpose and drizzling the crystal sugar on top instead of butter-sugar crumbs. Lets jump right in.
Healthy & Moist Blueberry Muffins
Hearty-Healthy Whole wheat Blueberry Muffins to warm up your soul.
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1 1/2 cup (Or mix of All purpose & Whole wheat)
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Egg – 1
- Milk of your choice – 1/3 cup
- Salt – 1tsp
- Baking powder – 2tsp
- Vegetable oil – 1/3 cup
- Fresh Blueberries – 1 cup
- Clean the fresh blueberries and let them dry on paper towel for 10-15 mins. Take them in a bowl, add 1 tbsp of flour and mix them gently. This will dust the blueberries and helps them not to sink lower in the muffin pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 F / 200 C degrees. Greece the muffin pan with oil or use muffin liners.
- In a bowl, combine both flours, sugar, salt & baking powder.
- Place oil in a measuring cup, add the egg and mix it well. Now, add the milk to fill the 1 cup. Mix this well and add to dry ingredients and combine.
- Next, fold the blueberries gently – Muffin dough is ready.
- Fill muffin cups to about 2/3 and sprinkle Crystal sugar on the top.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the toothpick comes out clean.
- You can use only all purpose flour instead of the combination.
- The muffin cups can be filled to the top to get the deli styled oversized muffins.
- Deli style Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.