One Dough – 6 varieties of cookies
Yes, it falls under that kind of cookies which can be made from one single dough. Its a simple short bread cookie recipe. But the variety of the cookies that can be done with this simple stuff are limitless. I only tapped 6 varieties but that can be your baseline to make more and get your creative juices flowing.
What started as a pinwheel recipe quickly turned into this madness to see how many varieties I can make with it. I ended up with 6 different varieties of yummy stuff. Crazily enjoyed by the family when I opened the covered platter in front of them.
There are pinwheels, Dominos, marbles, shapes, cut in shapes and flowers. Really the way the dough can be used is only limited by your creativity.
These cookies are real fun for the kids creativity too. It will be fun to make, bake and enjoy with your little ones all in the matter of couple of hours. Its pure joy and fun to include the family for this. Works upto one of those summer activities as a family.
The baking time is same irrespective of what fun shape you pull out of these. So, let the creativity flow.
This was the most consuming of all the varieties. BUT, well worth the wait and effort. Of-course the technique is to roll the dough really tight to make it stick together and also make sure you retain the round shape of the cookie bar. Then cut them into little spiral discs and bake away. See pictures below for step by step illustration.
Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 20 mins. The recipe for the base is provided below.
These cut-out cookies can be easily done by taking cookie cutters of same shape but different sizes.
You can either make chocolate dominos or vanilla dominos. The chocolate chips can be replaced by M&Ms or even candied fruit.
Yummy flowers are the best cookies. They tasted sooo good.
Use your favorite cookie cutter to get the adorable shapes. I feel its best left for kids to try. You can even go trying the numbers and alphabets.
The marble ones are purely from the leftovers of the cutouts. Don’t over mix the leftover dough, it will become light colored chocolate. Just combine the leftover dough, roll it and start making cookies. They come out perfect.
Finally the Platter of all the fun stuff. Enjoy !!
Below is the recipe to use for this fun.
Easy Crazy Shortbread cookies
Fun shapes and cookies with simple shortbread cookie dough
- Butter – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cup
- Baking powder – 1/2 tbsp Chocolate Dough
- Soft butter – 1 tbsp
- Milk – 1 tbsp
- Unsweetened Cacao Powder – 3 tbsp (optional cocoa powder)
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until soft and creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon milk and mix it well.
- Add dry ingredients – flour, salt and baking powder to wet ingredients and combine it well. The vanilla dough is ready.
- Take the 3 ingredients under chocolate dough – 1 tbsp of melted butter, 1 tbsp milk and 3 tbsp of cocoa powder – mix it really well to combine.
- Divide the vanilla dough into 2 parts. Take one portion and mix the chocolate mixture made in step 3. Chocolate dough is ready.
- Depending on the style of the cookies you like, roll the dough shown above, make the cookie shapes and transfer them carefully onto the parchment paper.
- Only pinwheels need the refrigeration time. Others can be rolled out and baked immediately. But I suggest to refrigerate the rolled out cookies with baking tray for 10 mins so that they hold the shape while baking.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degree F.
- Bake for 20 mins turning the baking tray around once at half time.
- Take the cookies out, let stand for 3-4 mins and transfer to cooling rack. Enjoy!!
- Cookies can be stored for 3-4 days on counter top or freeze for upto 3 months.
Did you try this recipe? If yes, Please share your feedback in the comments section. Also please subscribe.