I was thinking all wrong!!!
I thought Vanilla Cake would be the most favorite cake flavor on the internet. When I was browsing around for popular birthday flavor, one of the sites revealed FUNFETTI cake is the most favored. Vanilla flavored cake stands in 6th position.
- Funfetti Cake
- Pineapple Upside down cake
- Lemon Cake
- Black forest Cake
- Vanilla Cake
- Red Velvet Cake
- Chocolate Cake
- And so on.
It was interesting to see Chocolate cake stand in 8th place – atleast as per this list. Hmmm, you learn something new everyday.
Pssst…. Also, you can find 5 of the flavors listed above – click on the links above to check them out Or Check out all the cakes I made until now – Here
Although a second google search (ahem) revealed that ‘VANILLA’ flavor is the most sought WEDDING flavor. Well, there you go – my moment has come.
Interestingly, I made this beautiful Vanilla Cake with Strawberry roses for our 15th wedding anniversary in August. As I mentioned before, I don’t like to add any colors / dyes or high end stuff for our at-home cakes. But I like to make them as special and grand as possible.
To make this cake extra special, I used strawberries to pose as roses. The process is simple though. You start cutting the strawberry from bottom-up to get the required effect of strawberry. Such a simple idea, but it made the anniversary cake extra special and beautiful in every way I imagined. I used Orange peels for extra charms and color on the top of the cake.
I made vanilla cake before, but this is a new recipe and the use of sour cream or yogurt in the cake makes all the difference of softness and yumminess to the cake. I might have made this cake more than 20 times now and it comes out perfectly moistened, soft, great texture and tasty every single time.
For frosting I made whipped cream using heavy cream. This is my goto frosting as it involves less sugar and more creamy taste. I used 3 cups heavy cream – 3/4 cup powdered sugar to make the whipping cream.
Let’s see the recipe now.
Vanilla Cake for Wedding Anniversary
Make your occasions extra special with this Old time favorite Vanilla Cake and simple bouquet of strawberry roses!
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter – room temperature
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Prep two 8 inch cake pans OR three 6 inch pans with parchment paper, spray them with oil and keep them ready.
- In a large bowl, add the wet ingredients and mix them together – butter, milk, egg whites, sour cream/yogurt and Vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the same bowl – flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar. Give them a good mix until combined. Just make sure you dont over beat it.
- Pour the cake batter in the prepared cake pans evenly. I use my 2-cup capacity pyrex measuring cup for even distribution.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and dry.
- Let the cake layers cool in the pan for 5 mins and then invert on cooling rack, Let them cool completely before assembling the cake.
- I used 3 cups heavy cream – 3/4 cup powdered sugar to make the whipping cream. This is sufficient to cover these layers.
- The strawberries roses and orange zest strips made the top of the cake for decoration.
- The cake layers can be done and frozen as early as a month. This cake keeps great in freezer.
- I would suggest to wash and wipe the strawberries clean before cutting and placing them on the cake.
- If you are using whipped cream, the cake has to be stored in the fridge until ready to serve.
- As an idea, you can use orange zest in the frosting to add a bit of tanginess to the frosting and cut the sweet taste of the sugar.
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: email@example.com