Why are health experts switching to plant based Pasta instead of the traditional Pasta? Its our search of more vegan and plant based products, but more importantly it has to do with healthy options we can feed to our body instead of high carb options.
There are quite a few new options of Pasta in the market these days like Chickpea Pasta, green lentil pasta, red lentil pasta, casava flour pasta, edamame pasta and so on. Among them chickpea pasta seems to be a bit more available than the others.
Traditional Pasta Versus Chickpea Pasta:
As I read on, I learn that Chickpea Pasta is made of only one ingredient – Chickpeas. Its more Gluten free, Protein and less Carbs compared to its traditional alternative. Barilla Chickpea pasta has 25 grams of protein, 13 grams of fiber and 42 grams of net carbs per serving (versus 13 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and 70 grams of net carbs for a traditional pasta serving), and it’s low glycemic index and gluten-free. (Source)
So, its natural for you to incorporate this in your Pasta Dinners. If you want to up the game, you could make vegetable Pasta to make it entirely vegetarian. Make it Vegan by using Nutritional Yeast instead of Parmesan Cheese. You are the boss how you would like to turn it around.
Lets say this recipe is combination of broth, pasta, Chickpeas and tomato soup. But in order to make it my own, I added some Curry Powder to enhance the taste. This is totally optional. To make it more interesting and also to silence my itch, I added Spinach greens. This can be replaced by Kale or Collard Greens which pair beautifully! Finally I topped it with chilli flakes(if you like spicy) and Nutritional Yeast.
What is Nutritional Yeast you ask?
Its Vegan foodie’s best friend. It’s a combo of Complete Protein, Vitamins, powerful antioxidants and Minerals for good health! It has cheesy and nutty taste when sprinkled on top of goodies like soups, pasta, bread or any savory item. Studies have shown it has a wide range of potential health benefits, ranging from lowering cholesterol to protecting the body from free radical damage. You can buy it easily on Amazon.
Let’s see how to make it!
Step by step Photos:
1.Make pasta al dente per instructions.
2.In a Medium pot on heat, add olive oil, cut onions and fry it well. Add chili flakes and garlic flakes and fry for a minute.
3. Add Curry Powder and tomato paste. Give it a fry!
4. Add the broth, cook for 5 mins.
5. Add spinach which is cut into stripes and let it blanch for 3-4 mins.
6. Add pasta and cook for few more minutes.
7. Add more water or broth depending on how diluted you want your pasta dish! Let boil for 5 more minutes.
8. Top with more Chili flakes and Nutritional yeast or Parmesan Cheese. Dig in!
9. Serve it with a side of Garlic bread! This is optional but if you need to have a side dish, this works well.
Vegan Brothy Chickpeas Pasta with Tomato and Spinach!
Healthy, soupy, warm and soulful Vegan pasta with Plant based ingredients!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small Onion
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 4 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp garlic flakes
- 4 cups broth
- 1 cup spinach
- (1) 8.8 oz chickpea pasta
- 2 tsp Nutritional yeast or Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Make pasta al dente per instructions.
- In a Medium pot on heat, add olive oil, cut onions and fry it well. Add chili flakes, garlic flakes, Curry Powder and tomato paste.
- Add the broth, cook for 5 mins. Add spinach which is cut into stripes and let it blanch for 3-4 mins. Add pasta and cook for few more minutes.
- Add more water or broth depending on how diluted you want your pasta dish! Et Voila…. here is the yummy brothy pasta.
- Spinach greens can be replaced by Kale or Collard Greens.
- Chickpea pasta comes in smaller quatity like 8 oz instead of 12 or 16 oz.
Note: This Post has affiliate links. If you purchase through the links, I might earn a small commission at no extra cost to you!
IF you enjoy this post, please don’t forget to share, comment and connect!