Star Ingredients: Moong Dal, Coconut and Jaggery
Mung/Moong dal is part of legume family which is cultivated in Asia and India. It’s one of those legumes which will be used in both sweet and savory dishes. Yellow moong dal is basically split version of green moong dal which cooks quickly and relatively easy to digest.
When cooked, this legume is basically bland to taste. Thus making it a versatile ingredient to add to any sweet or savory dish and assume its flavors. Among many dishes we prepare as part of Indian cuisine, yellow moong dal always takes special place when made as sweet dishes.
This moong dal laddu/bites also has coconut, Jaggery and Cashews along with moong dal. The recipe is very simple to make. Fry the moong dal for 5-7 minutes to release the wonderful aroma of the dal. Then goes coconut flakes and cashews into the pan to fry. Finally blend them all to make laddus. That’s it.
These laddus are
- Easy to make
- Light and easy on stomach
- Slightly crunchy to bite
- Coconutty taste
- on the go pick me ups
Lets dive in.
Moong Dal Laddu/Bites
Tasty Mung dal energy bites
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Sugar or Jaggery powder – ½ cup (I used Jaggery)
- Unsweetened Coconut flakes – ¼ cup
- Broken Cashews – 2 tsps.
- Almond Milk – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1/8 tsp (Optional)
- Cardamom powder – 1/8 tsp (Optional)
- In a medium pan, dry roast moong dal on medium flame for 5-6 minutes until the wonderful aroma is released. Take it into a bowl and cool completely.
- In the same pan, add coconut flakes and dry roast until the flakes change to slightly golden color. Take it in a different bowl.
- Finally, add 1 tsp of ghee and roast the cashews until they are golden brown. Add them to coconut flakes.
- Once all the ingredients are cooled down completely, take the moong dal into food processor and process it coarsely. Add the jaggery powder and pulse it one more time.
- Now add this dal powder, salt and cardamon powder to coconut-cashew mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Warm almond milk in microwave and start adding it to the dal-coconut-cashew mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. The mixture should come together to make laddus or balls.
- Take 1 tbsp of mixture and roll it into balls. Let them cool completely before storing.
- This recipe makes 12 laddus. Enjoy!!
IF you enjoy this post, please don’t forget to share, comment and connect!