Star Ingredients: Whole wheat flour, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Nutella.
Did you know that each Nutella jar has 52 hazelnuts? Apart from the fat and yummy content its normally famous for, I do love the fact that it has some nuts which we don’t normally eat.
My kids love Nutella as much as next one. But to make them eat any, good for you spices- especially cinnamon and nutmeg is whole different thing.
We moms, are notorious for sneaking in healthy stuff inside regular food. I do it in Cookies, Smoothies, Pancakes, Waffles, Pasta and also Muffins. There is not even a taste difference with most of them.
But here, I am slightly taking a reverse approach – eat spice infused muffin to get to the surprise ooey-gooey Nutella. Works like a charm.
Ok, these are regular vanilla muffins with a twist of whole wheat flour, Wheat Bran (for that extra fiber), Cinnamon and nutmeg. My little ones go gaga on these. In fact I made these Chocolate chip cookies and Surprise muffins on same day and totally thought they would take cookies first. Guess what, I was proved wrong, they each blasted 2 muffins without touching the cookies. So, go figure(your kids and fail).
Healthy Surprise Nutella Muffins
Cinnamon-Nutmeg infused surprise Nutella muffins.
- Whole Wheat flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Wheat bran – 1/2 cup
- Baking Powder – 11/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg – 1/2 tsp
- Large Egg – 1
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Avocado / Vegetable oil – 1/3 cup
- Almond milk – 3/4 cup
- Nutella – 7 to 8 tsp Topping
- Butter/coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 3 tsp
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the muffin tray with lines or spray with oil well.
- In a large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, oil, egg and milk until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fill the muffin liners with 1 tbsp. of batter. Add 1/2 tsp of Nutella in the middle. Now, fill the muffins till 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Test by using the toothpick inserted in the middle. If it comes out clean with just Nutella around it, then they are done.
- For the topping – melt butter or coconut oil in one bowl and mix other 2 ingredients in a separate bowl. – Dip the tops of the muffins in butter first and then in cinnamon-sugar mix. Let them dry completely.
- You can use coconut oil instead of butter for the tops.
- Whole wheat flour can be substituted with all purpose flour.
- Cinnamon & nutmeg are totally optional.
- Any Jam/marmalade or even chocolate piece can be replaced by Nutella.
- I use only 1/2 tsp of the Nutella, but you can use upto 1 tsp.
IF you enjoy this post, please don’t forget to share, comment and connect!