“It’s finger licking good!!! – That’s how good this cake tastes.
I am not kidding. My usual vanilla loving, never chocolate, no way other flavors are even flavors audience have gone gaga’s on this cake, which means I am definitely not exaggerating!!!
It’s pillowy soft and lemon zested mightily both inside and outside the cake. And that is what giving this cake that lemony bunch in your mouth after every bite. Yes, you can taste that sweet and tangy lemony taste in every bite.
Lemon is more like spring & summer scent for me than just for summer. I had my first lemon poppy seed cake a few years back. But I never baked one by myself. This is the first one with some changes to the basic cake version. And it didn’t disappoint.
The star ingredients to this cake are lemon(of course), lemon juice, zest and sour cream. In addition, the lemon juice syrup will soak the cake tops with much needed punch and sweetness. The top dusted with sugar and lemon zest makes the whole thing balanced in sugary and lemony way.
Let me show you how easy it is to make!! This way, please…
Lemony Lemon Cake
Finger licking good, zesty lemon Cake
- 1 ½ cups All purpose flour (I mixed 1 cup all purpose & ½ cup whole wheat)
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp Pure Vanilla extract
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Unsalted butter at room temp
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Lemon Syrup: 1 tbsp Lemon Juice + 1 tbsp Water + 2 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- ½ cup Powdered Sugar for dusting
- 1 tsp Lemon zest for decorating
- Preheat Oven to 350 degree F. Apply butter or oil spray to the cake pans and keep them ready.
- In a bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment, add butter, sugar and beat on high speed for 3-4 mins until they are light and creamy.
- Add both eggs, one at a time followed by vanilla, lemon juice, lemon zest and finally sour cream.
- Now, add the dry ingredients – Flour(s), baking powder and salt. Mix this well in the stand mixer making sure not to over beat.
- Pour the mixture evenly in the cake pans and bake them for 18 mins or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Make the lemon syrup as per the measurements and keep it ready.
- Once the cakes are out of the oven, while they are still warm, poke small holes using tooth pick. Pour/Drizzle the syrup on the warm cakes with a spoon and let them cool down completely.
- Finally, when you are ready to serve, sprinkle the powdered sugar using tea strainer and zest the lemon for that added touch of more lemon. Enjoy!!!!!
Have you made this recipe? If so, please share your comments at #smithasbakelove or in the comment section.
If you enjoyed this post don’t forget to like, follow, share and comment!
Enjoyed this post? Then follow me on social media:
Email me on: email@example.com